Searching for the perfect gift is never easy. Everyone wants to avoid that well-known look of disappointment from the recipient when they open a gift that’s only sub-par. That’s probably why so many people hand out generic gift cards rather than putting the effort into finding a really good gift.
It’s true that everyone likes gift cards, but they in no way hold the value of a great DIY gift since they are quickly used and forgotten. Instead, try your hand at making a gift this year, like a homemade candle.
The Perfect DIY Gift
Once used out of necessity, candles have since evolved into a beautiful decoration coveted in any home, making it a great gift. However, buying a candle in the store means you’re stuck with the same old looks and scents that will fit a hundred people. If you make your own candle, you can choose the shape, color, and fragrance so that it’s unique to the personality and tastes of the recipient. They’ll know just how much you care based on the time and thought you put into the gift, not to mention that candle making is fun!
Tips for Candle Making
1. If you’re brand new to this DIY project, you should look into a starter kit. These generally come with your choice of wax, fragrance, color dye, glass containers, and wicks. This customized packaged also comes with complete instructions for assembling the candle. Follow those instructions carefully, and pay attention to these helpful tips as you begin crafting the perfect personalized gift.
2. Make sure you protect both your clothing and your work space. You’ll want to wear a disposable apron or old clothes that you don’t care about, as wax does not wash off easily. Cover your work surface in newspaper for easy clean up.
3. Be liberal with the amount of dye you use on your candle. The last thing you want is for your intended red candle to turn out pink because you didn’t add enough coloring.
4. Never try to melt the wax in the microwave. It might seem like a quick shortcut, but it will actually turn into a hazardous mess. Instead, melt it slowly in a double saucepan on your stove.
5. This may go without saying, but don’t let your wick fall into the wax while the wax hardens. Get wick stickers to secure your wicks until the wax has cured.
With a little creativity and the right supplies, you’ll soon have a wonderful specialized gift that shows just how much you care.